Wednesday, May 6, 2009

All About My Trip

Hey Y'all! So, its been almost 2 weeks since my trip Omaha to visit my family. This is going to be a loooooooong blog, so if you don't have time to read now, maybe you should come back later!! And don't forget to leave me comments, I love comments! :)
On April 23, I arrived in Omaha and was enthusiastically greeted by my Aunt Teresa, Aunt Judy, and my sister Michele (who had arrived just 30 minutes before I did). I was so so happy to meet my aunts (that's just two of them, there are more) and my big sister, Michele. I hadn't seen Michele since she sang in my wedding back in 2002. Hugging her neck was SO surreal. I love my sister so much, I don't think she will ever know how much I love her!
Aunt Teresa made this fantabulous sign for us at the airport. She is a hoot, but a girl after my own heart! I mean, if you can't be goofy with your family, who can you be goofy with?!?


After our awesome chauffer (aka Uncle Stan, Teresa's hubby) delivered us to the house from the airport, we freshened up for a bit before heading out to get manis & pedis. How wonderful that was to be pampered for an hour and come out looking & feeling beautiful!!
We went back to the house to wait for our brother, Danny, to come! He showed up and it was surreal for me again, to finally see my brother after 18 long years. I missed him so much, and I'm so happy that he took the time to see his crazy sisters!
We, of course, stayed up late that night, talking and getting to know our family! I finally met my cousin Jennifer, who is about 5 months younger than me. Apparently there are pictures of us as babies together, though they haven't been found yet. I have been talking with Jen via facebook for a good year now, I felt like I already knew her when I saw her. We are alike in a lot of ways, and I love her to death!


I cannot express how nice it was to sleep in though the next day! What a feeling! I almost forgot what that was like.
On Friday we hung out some more and spent some time remembering moments of those that passed. I won't get into that, because its very personal for me, and something that I feel should be kept sacred and not open to the public, like in a blog.
Friday evening we had a lot of family come over to see us. None of my aunts/uncles had seen me since I was about 2 years old. That's a long time and I'd obviously grown up & changed a lot!
I met my cousins Ashlee & Sara (who are my Aunt Judy's daughters) They are so sweet & beautiful!!

And just a few more pics of more family from that night! We all just hung out & talked and maybe sang a little karaoke!!

They made me sing with Michele. She is a really good singer, and I'm really not! But I still obliged! We sang the song she sang at my wedding "Because You Love Me" by JoDee Messina.
Gettin' down with karoke...it's a Family Affair!

My goofy Aunt Marcia (aka Aunt Mousey) and Bill

My aunts, Judy, Mary Jo, Teresa, Kissy, & Mousey, me, Michele, and cousin Jen!

On Saturday morning, we slept in and lounged around and I got to talk to my Aunt Debbie from Maryland on Skype (which btw I need to get hooked up to) We, then headed down to Panera Bread for a late breakfast! Teresa & Stan were the perfect hosts, and made us feel so comfortable and loved!! And their son Jacob is such a great kid! He put up with us all weekend, and was very polite, but he can play a mean game of poker!

On Saturday afternoon, my brother came back for a visit, and this time he brought his girlfriend, Angie, and her sweet daughter Justine! I'm so happy for my brother that he has someone who is completely awesome to him, and who loves him a lot!! She is definitely a keeper!

That evening we had yet, another family party, complete with karoke & Texas Hold 'Em!

We did not plan these outfits, we have just have great minds that think alike!!


Me & my cousin Teresa!!



Us @ Karaoke night. Judy, Michele, me, & Jen




Us with Aunt Mary Jo & her hubby




Us with my Dad's twin Uncle Ronnie!

Me singing Faith Hill...I think it was the only time at karaoke night that I didn't have my mouth
wide open!
Before Karaoke night.
Aunt Teresa, Michele, Uncle Steve, Aunt Judy, me, Jen
I met lots of others too, that for some reason or another didn't get pics with. I met Aunt Linda & Jim, Uncle Johnny and his daughter Missy, Uncle Mike, his wife & kids. And there are still a few people that I didn't even get to meet!
I had a fabulous time connecting & re-connecting, and its a trip that I will certainly treasure forever. I'm so happy to have had the opportunity to see them all again, and to see where I came from. I love each and everyone in my family, from the sweet & quiet ones to the absolutely insane, crazy ones!

7 comments:

Laura Mayer-Rasgorshek said...

I loved reading all the detail and seeing all the pictures from your Omaha trip. Thanks for sharing!

Sean said...

MINDY!!! this is amazing... i am so happy for you to have the opportunity to have gone there. I can see similarities in some of your aunts and cousins to you... how neat. I look forward to the day, who knows when, when we can meet for coffee and talk about it more! I llove ya, girl.. and am super proud you're my cousin too!

Tessa

I hope to be coming to canyon/ama. in the fall.. maybe september...

Anonymous said...

Mindy this was a great blog!! I got teary quite a few times..how neat was all of that!?!? Thanks for sharing! Wendy

Anonymous said...

Mindy: Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I am so happy you felt at home here. We can't wait to see you again. For that matter...bring the whole family! love, teresa

Mindy said...

Thank you everyone! I did have an amazing time!

And Tess~you said you might be coming this way in September right? We are SO having coffee!!

Anonymous said...

Mindy! I thouroughly enjoyed this! What an incredible opportunity to go spend time with family you haven't seen in so long. I know they are so blessed to have you in their lives. (as we all are!! You are a wonderful woman!) Love the pictures!! Thank you for sharing this!

Angie Smith

Mousey said...

Mindy,

I'm so thankful to GOD that we were able to see you and Michele.
We had such a wonderful time and wished that we could stop time. I love your blog, it made me cry, with happiness. I love you and we are so happy that you are back into our lives again. Good Night God Bless You, Wwe love You!

Love Ya,
Aunt Mousey & Uncle Billy