Friday, July 3, 2009

Turning 30

Hello Friends!
I write to you now as an older, more mature & sophisticated 30-year old.................NOT!!
It sounded good though right, that I should instantly be sophisticated because I'm 30!
Sunday was my 30th birthday (June 28) and I just have to say, that I feel no different, but I did have some trouble that day.
Before I get into that, I'd like to talk about my celebrations! The night before, my husband & kids took me out for dinner, and then Garrett wanted to pick me out a cake from the grocery store. So, as we are leaving the restaurant he says "Mom, I am going to get you a tractor cake like I had for my birthday! And you will like it & be grateful!"
I was almost rolling in the floor....where did he hear that? Oh yeah, from me! I am forever getting onto him for not being grateful about gifts he's given.
So, he picked me out a lime green & hot pink (does my kid know me or what!!) cake with sprinkles! He also picked me out a plant of red, white, & blue Mums!
The next day we went to Amarillo for some yummy food from Abuelos. If you live near an Abuelos Mexican restaurant and have never been, you are missing out. That is some fantastic dining! And thank goodness they don't sing & make a big hoopla about birthdays anymore!
I think the last time I was ever in a restaurant and I had to stand up & be sung to was my 21st birthday at On the Border. I had already had too many margaritas and they made me stand in a booth and wear the biggest sombrero I've ever seen in my life!
Afterwards, we left for my parents house and I was welcomed by a SURPRISE little party at their house. It was so sweet. My sister, Stacey, had done all the decorating and getting the cake, and I had no idea about it, heck, Brent didn't even know!
My kids sang Happy Birthday (which was the sweetest thing a Mommy could ever ask for on her birthday, is hearing her kids sing that song with such gusto & look SO proud when Mommy could blow out her own candles)!
I have a great family and some wonderful friends!!
Oh yeah, you wanted to hear what was so terrible about my birthday, right? Well, besides that fact that my husband bought me a Dyson vacuum cleaner (totally kidding, I LOVE IT) I was feeling quite like a failure. Why?
I hadn't lost all the weight I wanted to yet and I felt as though I was a failure, because there were certain things I'd set for myself that I'd have done by the time I was 30. Well, my husband, bless his heart, said "Hun, who cares? I mean, you have God, me, 2 wonderful kids, and so much family you don't know what to do with all of them, what else do you need?" And I realized, he is so right. To me, that's like having it all!!
So, yeah, I'm 3o now, and loving it! No where near sophisticated, but I never will be, that's just not my style!








2 comments:

Jen said...

I think you look amazing. I keep thinking about my 30th year as the year I am going to start a family. . .and it makes me so excited. I hope it happens. I love you and know that I was there celebrating with you in spirit. I miss you terribly, and know the next 30 years and beyond I will be a part of your life. I hope we can get to Texas sometime soon. I love good Mexican food, and I know it must be the heck out of what we get in Omaha! I love you!!!

Mindy said...

Thanks so much Jen! I hope you can get to Texas soon too...that would be sweet to have you visit!! And starting your family this next year, YAY!! I'm excited for that!!
Yeah, the Mexican food is awesome! Texas may have better Mexican than Omaha, but Texas does not have my Jen!! Love ya too!!